Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Field Experience Day 1 - February 3rd, 2012

 3.) Students with special needs:


My first day of field experience was very insightful. I quickly noticed a student that stood out from the rest of the class.  When I asked my host teacher about the student he said the student had high functioning autism. My host teacher explained how he deals with the student and what challenges he presents.  Although this student has autism he uses it as an excuse to ignore the teacher and disrupt class.  Throughout the class I tried to interact with the student but he was very defiant and had trouble focusing for long periods of time.  I discussed with my teacher the best ways to handle the student without interrupting the class. For example I watched as he pulled the student off to the side and explained what he was doing wrong without stopping the class. Going forward I am going to try to use some of my master teachers techniques and work with this student to improve his behavior.



No comments:

Post a Comment